Reaction: 3-phospho-D-glycerate + NAD+ = 3-phosphooxypyruvate + NADH + H+
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): PHGDH (gene name); D-3-phosphoglycerate:NAD+ oxidoreductase; α-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase; 3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase; 3-phosphoglyceric acid dehydrogenase; D-3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase; glycerate 3-phosphate dehydrogenase; glycerate-1,3-phosphate dehydrogenase; phosphoglycerate oxidoreductase; phosphoglyceric acid dehydrogenase; SerA; 3-phosphoglycerate:NAD+ 2-oxidoreductase; SerA 3PG dehydrogenase; 3PHP reductase
Systematic name: 3-phospho-D-glycerate:NAD+ 2-oxidoreductase
Comments: This enzyme catalyses the first committed and rate-limiting step in the phosphoserine pathway of serine biosynthesis. The reaction occurs predominantly in the direction of reduction. The enzyme from the bacterium Escherichia coli also catalyses the activity of EC 184.108.40.2069, 2-oxoglutarate reductase .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, MetaCyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9075-29-0
1. Pizer, L.I. The pathway and control of serine biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 238 (1963) 3934-3944. [PMID: 14086727]
2. Walsh, D.A. and Sallach, H.J. Purification and properties of chicken liver D-3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase. Biochemistry 4 (1965) 1076-1085. [PMID: 4378782]
3. Slaughter, J.C. and Davies, D.D. The isolation and characterization of 3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase from peas. Biochem. J. 109 (1968) 743-748. [PMID: 4386930]
4. Sugimoto, E. and Pizer, L.I. The mechanism of end product inhibition of serine biosynthesis. I. Purification and kinetics of phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase. J. Biol. Chem. 243 (1968) 2081. [PMID: 4384871]
5. Schuller, D.J., Grant, G.A. and Banaszak, L.J. The allosteric ligand site in the Vmax-type cooperative enzyme phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase. Nat. Struct. Biol. 2 (1995) 69-76. [PMID: 7719856]
6. Zhao, G. and Winkler, M.E. A novel α-ketoglutarate reductase activity of the serA-encoded 3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli K-12 and its possible implications for human 2-hydroxyglutaric aciduria. J. Bacteriol. 178 (1996) 232-239. [PMID: 8550422]
7. Achouri, Y., Rider, M.H., Schaftingen, E.V. and Robbi, M. Cloning, sequencing and expression of rat liver 3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase. Biochem. J. 323 (1997) 365-370. [PMID: 9163325]
8. Dey, S., Grant, G.A. and Sacchettini, J.C. Crystal structure of Mycobacterium tuberculosis D-3-phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase: extreme asymmetry in a tetramer of identical subunits. J. Biol. Chem. 280 (2005) 14892-14899. [PMID: 15668249]