Reaction: phenol + NADH + H+ + O2 = catechol + NAD+ + H2O
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): dmpLMNOP (gene names)
Systematic name: phenol,NADH:oxygen oxidoreductase (2-hydroxylating)
Comments: The enzyme, characterized from the bacteria Pseudomonas sp. CF600 and Acinetobacter radioresistens, consists of a multisubunit oxygenease component that contains the active site and a dinuclear iron center, a reductase component that contains FAD and one iron-sulfur cluster, and a regulatory component. The reductase component is responsible for transferring electrons from NADH to the dinuclear iron center.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Nordlund, I., Powlowski, J. and Shingler, V. Complete nucleotide sequence and polypeptide analysis of multicomponent phenol hydroxylase from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF600. J. Bacteriol. 172 (1990) 6826-6833. [PMID: 2254258]
2. Powlowski, J. and Shingler, V. In vitro analysis of polypeptide requirements of multicomponent phenol hydroxylase from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF600. J. Bacteriol. 172 (1990) 6834-6840. [PMID: 2254259]
3. Powlowski, J., Sealy, J., Shingler, V. and Cadieux, E. On the role of DmpK, an auxiliary protein associated with multicomponent phenol hydroxylase from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF600. J. Biol. Chem 272 (1997) 945-951. [PMID: 8995386]
4. Qian, H., Edlund, U., Powlowski, J., Shingler, V. and Sethson, I. Solution structure of phenol hydroxylase protein component P2 determined by NMR spectroscopy. Biochemistry 36 (1997) 495-504. [PMID: 9012665]
5. Cadieux, E., Vrajmasu, V., Achim, C., Powlowski, J. and Munck, E. Biochemical, Mossbauer, and EPR studies of the diiron cluster of phenol hydroxylase from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF 600. Biochemistry 41 (2002) 10680-10691. [PMID: 12186554]