Reaction: sulfite + 2 ferricytochrome c + H2O = sulfate + 2 ferrocytochrome c + 2 H+
Other name(s): sulfite cytochrome c reductase; sulfite-cytochrome c oxidoreductase; sulfite oxidase (ambiguous); sulfite dehydrogenase (ambiguous); sorAB (gene names)
Systematic name: sulfite:ferricytochrome-c oxidoreductase
Comments: Associated with cytochrome c-551. The enzyme from the bacterium Starkeya novella contains a molybdopyranopterin cofactor and a smaller monoheme cytochrome c subunit. cf. EC 220.127.116.11, sulfite dehydrogenase (quinone).
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 37256-47-6
1. Charles, A.M. and Suzuki, I. Purification and properties of sulfite:cytochrome c oxidoreductase from Thiobacillus novellus. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 128 (1966) 522-534.
2. Lyric, R.M. and Suzuki, I. Enzymes involved in the metabolism of thiosulfate by Thiobacillus thioparus. I. Survey of enzymes and properties of sulfite: cytochrome c oxidoreductase. Can. J. Biochem. 48 (1970) 334-343. [PMID: 5438321]
3. Yamanaka, T., Yoshioka, T. and Kimura, K. Purification of sulphite cytocrome c reductase of Thiobacillus novellus and reconstitution of its sulphite oxidase system with the purified constituents. Plant and Cell Physiol. 22 (1981) 631.
4. Lu, W.-P. and Kelly, D.P. Properties and role of sulphite:cytochrome c oxidoreductase purified from Thiobacillus versutus (A2). J. Gen. Microbiol. 130 (1984) 1683-1692.
5. Kappler, U., Bennett, B., Rethmeier, J., Schwarz, G., Deutzmann, R., McEwan, A.G. and Dahl, C. Sulfite:Cytochrome c oxidoreductase from Thiobacillus novellus. Purification, characterization, and molecular biology of a heterodimeric member of the sulfite oxidase family. J. Biol. Chem. 275 (2000) 13202-13212. [PMID: 10788424]