Reaction: (1) S-adenosyl-L-methionine + arsenite = S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + methylarsonate
(2) S-adenosyl-L-methionine + methylarsonite = S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + dimethylarsinate
For diagram click here.
Other name(s): S-adenosyl-L-methionine:arsenic(III) methyltransferase; S-adenosyl-L-methionine:methylarsonite As-methyltransferase; methylarsonite methyltransferase
Systematic name: S-adenosyl-L-methionine:arsenite As-methyltransferase
Comments: An enzyme of the biotransformation pathway that forms dimethylarsinate from inorganic arsenite and arsenate. It methylates arsenite to form methylarsonate, Me-AsO3H2, which is reduced by EC 184.108.40.206, methylarsonate reductase, to methylarsonite, Me-As(OH)2. Methylarsonite is also a substrate for this enzyme (EC 220.127.116.11), which converts it into the much less toxic compound dimethylarsinate (cacodylate), Me2As(O)-OH.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, UM-BBD, CAS registry number: 167140-41-2
1. Zakharyan, R.A. and Aposhian, H.V. Enzymatic reduction of arsenic compounds in mammalian systems: The rate-limiting enzyme of rabbit liver arsenic biotransformation is MMA(V) reductase. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 121 (1999) 1278-1283. [PMID: 10604879]
2. Zakharyan, R.A., Ayala-Fierro, F., Cullen, W.R., Carter, D.M. and Aposhian, H.V. Enzymatic methylation of arsenic compounds. VII. Monomethylarsonous acid (MMAIII) is the substrate for MMA methyltransferase of rabbit liver and human hepatocytes. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 158 (1999) 9-15. [PMID: 10387927]
3. Zakharyan, R.A., Wildfang, E. and Aposhian, H.V. Enzymatic methylation of arsenic compounds. III. The marmoset and tamarin, but not the rhesus, monkeys are deficient in methyltransferases that methylate inorganic arsenic. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 140 (1996) 77-84. [PMID: 8806872]
4. Zakharyan, R.A., Wu, Y., Bogdan, G.M. and Aposhian, H.V. Enzymatic methylation of arsenic compounds: assay, partial purification, and properties of arsenite methyltransferase and monomethylarsonic acid methyltransferase of rabbit liver. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 8 (1995) 1029-1038. [PMID: 8605285]
5. Lin, S., Shi, Q., Nix, F.B., Styblo, M., Beck, M.A., Herbin-Davis, K.M., Hall, L.L., Simeonsson, J.B. and Thomas, D.J. A novel S-adenosyl-L-methionine:arsenic(III) methyltransferase from rat liver cytosol. J. Biol. Chem. 277 (2002) 10795-10803. [PMID: 11790780]