Reaction: geranyl diphosphate + isopentenyl diphosphate = diphosphate + (2E,6E)-farnesyl diphosphate
For diagram of reaction, click here
Other name(s): farnesyl-diphosphate synthase; geranyl transferase I; prenyltransferase; farnesyl pyrophosphate synthetase; farnesylpyrophosphate synthetase; geranyltranstransferase
Systematic name: geranyl-diphosphate:isopentenyl-diphosphate geranyltranstransferase
Comments: Some forms of this enzyme will also use dimethylallyl diphosphate as a substrate. The enzyme will not accept larger prenyl diphosphates as efficient donors.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 37277-79-5
1. Lynen, F., Agranoff, B.W., Eggerer, H., Henning, V. and Möslein, E.M. Zur Biosynthese der Terpene. VI. γ,γ-Dimethyl-allyl-pyrophosphat und Geranyl-pyrophosphat, biologische Vorstufen des Squalens. Angew. Chem. 71 (1959) 657-663.
2. Ogura, K., Nishino, T. and Seto, S. The purification of prenyltransferase and isopentenyl pyrophosphate isomerase of pumpkin fruit and their some properties. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 64 (1968) 197-203. [PMID: 4303505]
3. Reed, B.C. and Rilling, H. Crystallization and partial characterization of prenyltransferase from avian liver. Biochemistry 14 (1975) 50-54. [PMID: 1109590]
4. Takahashi, I. and Ogura, K. Farnesyl pyrophosphate synthetase from Bacillus subtilis. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 89 (1981) 1581-1587. [PMID: 6792191]
5. Takahashi, I. and Ogura, K. Prenyltransferases of Bacillus subtilis: undecaprenyl pyrophosphate synthetase and geranylgeranyl pyrophosphate synthetase. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 92 (1982) 1527-1537. [PMID: 6818223]