Reaction: Endohydrolysis of (1→4)-β-D-glucosidic linkages in cellulose, lichenin and cereal β-D-glucans
Other name(s): endo-1,4-β-D-glucanase; β-1,4-glucanase; β-1,4-endoglucan hydrolase; celluase A; cellulosin AP; endoglucanase D; alkali cellulase; cellulase A 3; celludextrinase; 9.5 cellulase; avicelase; pancellase SS; 1,4-(1,3;1,4)-β-D-glucan 4-glucanohydrolase
Systematic name: 4-(1,3;1,4)-β-D-glucan 4-glucanohydrolase
Comments: Will also hydrolyse 1,4-linkages in β-D-glucans also containing 1,3-linkages.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9012-54-8
1. Datta, P.K., Hanson, K.R. and Whitaker, D.R. Improved procedures for preparation and characterization of Myrothecum cellulase. III. Molecular weight, amino acid composition, terminal residues, and other properties. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 41 (1963) 697-705. [PMID: 14025219]
2. Larner, J. Other glucosidases, in Boyer, P.D., Lardy, H. and Myrbäck, K. (Eds.), The Enzymes, 2nd edn., vol. 4, Academic Press, New York, 1960, pp. 369-378.
3. Myers, F.L. and Northcote, D.H. Partial purification and some properties of a cellulase from Helix pomatia. Biochem. J. 71 (1959) 749-756.
4. Nishizawa, K. and Hashimoto, Y. Cellulose splitting enzymes. VI. Difference in the specificities of cellulase and β-glucosidase from Irpex lacteus. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 81 (1959) 211-222.
5. Whitaker, D.R., Hanson, K.R. and Datta, P.K. Improved procedures for preparation and characterization of myrothecium cellulase. 2. Purification procedures. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 41 (1963) 671-696.
6. Hatfield, R. and Nevins, D.J. Purification and properties of an endoglucanase isolated from the cell walls of Zea mays seedlings. Carbohydr. Res. 148 (1986) 265-278.
7. Hatfield, R. and Nevins, D.J. Hydrolytic activity and substrate specificity of an endoglucanase from Zea mays seedling cell walls. Plant Physiol. 83 (1987) 203-207.
8. Inohue, M., Hayashgi, K. and Nevins, D.J. Polypeptide characteristics and immunological properties of exo- and endoglucanases purified from maize coleoptile cell walls. J. Plant Physiol. 154 (1999) 334-340.