Reaction: Has a virtual requirement for Arg in the P1 position and a slightly less stringent preference for this residue in the P1' position, which can also contain Lys, Gly or Val.
Other name(s): protease VII; protease A; gene ompT proteins; ompT protease; protein a; Pla; protease A; OmpT
Comments: A product of the ompT gene of Escherichia coli, and associated with the outer membrane. Omptin shows a preference for cleavage between consecutive basic amino acids, but is capable of cleavage when P1' is a non-basic residue [5,7]. Belongs In peptidase family A26.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MEROPS, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 150770-86-8
1. Grodberg, J., Lundrigan, M.D., Toledo, D.L., Mangel, W.F. and Dunn, J.J. Complete nucleotide sequence and deduced amino acid sequence of the ompT gene of Escherichia coli K-12. Nucleic Acids Res. 16 (1988) 1209 only. [PMID: 3278297]
2. Sugimura, K. and Nishihara, T. Purification, characterization, and primary structure of Escherichia coli protease VII with specificity for paired basic residues: identity of protease VII and ompT. J. Bacteriol. 170 (1988) 5625-5632. [PMID: 3056908]
3. Hanke, C., Hess, J., Schumacher, G. and Goebel, W. Processing by OmpT of fusion proteins carrying the HlyA transport signal during secretion by the Escherichia coli hemolysin transport system. Mol. Gen. Genet. 233 (1992) 42-48. [PMID: 1603076]
4. Dekker, N. Omptin. In: Barrett, A.J., Rawlings, N.D. and Woessner, J.F. (Eds), Handbook of Proteolytic Enzymes, 2nd edn, vol. , Elsevier, London, 2004, pp. 212-216.
5. Vandeputte-Rutten, L., Kramer, R.A., Kroon, J., Dekker, N., Egmond, M.R. and Gros, P. Crystal structure of the outer membrane protease OmpT from Escherichia coli suggests a novel catalytic site. EMBO J. 20 (2001) 5033-5039. [PMID: 11566868]
6. Kramer, R.A., Vandeputte-Rutten, L., de Roon, G.J., Gros, P., Dekker, N. and Egmond, M.R. Identification of essential acidic residues of outer membrane protease OmpT supports a novel active site. FEBS Lett. 505 (2001) 426-430. [PMID: 11576541]
7. McCarter, J.D., Stephens, D., Shoemaker, K., Rosenberg, S., Kirsch, J.F. and Georgiou, G. Substrate specificity of the Escherichia coli outer membrane protease OmpT. J. Bacteriol. 186 (2004) 5919-5925. [PMID: 15317797]