Reaction: (1) (2Z,4E)-2-hydroxy-6-oxonona-2,4-diene-1,9-dioate + H2O = (2Z)-2-hydroxypenta-2,4-dienoate + succinate
(2) (2Z,4E,7E)-2-hydroxy-6-oxonona-2,4,7-triene-1,9-dioate + H2O = (2Z)-2-hydroxypenta-2,4-dienoate + fumarate
For diagram of reaction click here or click here.
Other name(s): mhpC (gene name)
Systematic name: (2Z,4E)-2-hydroxy-6-oxona-2,4-dienedioate succinylhydrolase
Comments: This enzyme catalyses a step in a pathway of phenylpropanoid compounds degradation. The first step of the enzyme mechanism involves a reversible keto-enol tautomerization .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EAWAG-BBD, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Burlingame, R. and Chapman, P.J. Catabolism of phenylpropionic acid and its 3-hydroxy derivative by Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 155 (1983) 113-121. [PMID: 6345502]
2. Burlingame, R.P., Wyman, L. and Chapman, P.J. Isolation and characterization of Escherichia coli mutants defective for phenylpropionate degradation. J. Bacteriol. 168 (1986) 55-64. [PMID: 3531186]
3. Lam, W. W. Y and Bugg, T. D. H. Chemistry of extradiol aromatic ring cleavage: isolation of a stable dienol ring fission intermediate and stereochemistry of its enzymatic hydrolytic clevage. J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 10 (1994) 1163-1164.
4. Lam, W.W. and Bugg, T.D. Purification, characterization, and stereochemical analysis of a C-C hydrolase: 2-hydroxy-6-keto-nona-2,4-diene-1,9-dioic acid 5,6-hydrolase. Biochemistry 36 (1997) 12242-12251. [PMID: 9315862]
5. Ferrández, A., García, J.L. and Díaz, E. Genetic characterization and expression in heterologous hosts of the 3-(3-hydroxyphenyl)propionate catabolic pathway of Escherichia coli K-12. J. Bacteriol. 179 (1997) 2573-2581. [PMID: 9098055]
6. Díaz, E., Ferrández, A. and García, J.L. Characterization of the hca cluster encoding the dioxygenolytic pathway for initial catabolism of 3-phenylpropionic acid in Escherichia coli K-12. J. Bacteriol. 180 (1998) 2915-2923. [PMID: 9603882]