Reaction: a 4-hydroxy-3-polyprenylbenzoate = a 2-polyprenylphenol + CO2
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): ubiD (gene name); 4-hydroxy-3-solanesylbenzoate decarboxylase; 3-octaprenyl-4-hydroxybenzoate decarboxylase
Systematic name: 4-hydroxy-3-polyprenylbenzoate carboxy-lyase
Comments: The enzyme catalyses a step in prokaryotic ubiquinone biosynthesis, as well as in plastoquinone biosynthesis in cyanobacteria. The enzyme can accept substrates with different polyprenyl tail lengths in vitro, but uses a specific length in vivo, which is determined by the polyprenyl diphosphate synthase that exists in the specific organism. It requires a prenylated flavin cofactor that is produced by EC 22.214.171.124, flavin prenyltransferase.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Leppik, R.A., Young, I.G. and Gibson, F. Membrane-associated reactions in ubiquinone biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. 3-Octaprenyl-4-hydroxybenzoate carboxy-lyase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 436 (1976) 800-810. [PMID: 782527]
2. Gulmezian, M., Hyman, K.R., Marbois, B.N., Clarke, C.F. and Javor, G.T. The role of UbiX in Escherichia coli coenzyme Q biosynthesis. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 467 (2007) 144-153. [PMID: 17889824]
3. Pfaff, C., Glindemann, N., Gruber, J., Frentzen, M. and Sadre, R. Chorismate pyruvate-lyase and 4-hydroxy-3-solanesylbenzoate decarboxylase are required for plastoquinone biosynthesis in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC6803. J. Biol. Chem. 289 (2014) 2675-2686. [PMID: 24337576]
4. Lin, F., Ferguson, K.L., Boyer, D.R., Lin, X.N. and Marsh, E.N. Isofunctional enzymes PAD1 and UbiX catalyze formation of a novel cofactor required by ferulic acid decarboxylase and 4-hydroxy-3-polyprenylbenzoic acid decarboxylase. ACS Chem. Biol. 10 (2015) 1137-1144. [PMID: 25647642]
5. Payne, K.A., White, M.D., Fisher, K., Khara, B., Bailey, S.S., Parker, D., Rattray, N.J., Trivedi, D.K., Goodacre, R., Beveridge, R., Barran, P., Rigby, S.E., Scrutton, N.S., Hay, S. and Leys, D. New cofactor supports α,β-unsaturated acid decarboxylation via 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition. Nature 522 (2015) 497-501. [PMID: 26083754]