Reaction: (1) ATP + (6S)-6β-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide = ADP + phosphate + NADH
(2) ATP + (6S)-6β-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide phosphate = ADP + phosphate + NADPH
For diagram of reaction click here
Glossary: (6S)-6β-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide = (S)-NADH-hydrate = (S)-NADHX
(6S)-6β-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide phosphate = (S)-NADPH-hydrate = (S)-NADPHX
Other name(s): reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide hydrate dehydratase; ATP-dependent H4NAD(P)+OH dehydratase; (6S)-β-6-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide hydro-lyase(ATP-hydrolysing); (6S)-6-β-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide hydro-lyase (ATP-hydrolysing; NADH-forming)
Systematic name: (6S)-6β-hydroxy-1,4,5,6-tetrahydronicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide hydro-lyase (ATP-hydrolysing; NADH-forming)
Comments: Acts equally well on hydrated NADH and hydrated NADPH. NAD(P)H spontaneously hydrates to both the (6S)- and (6R)- isomers, and these are interconverted by EC 22.214.171.124, NAD(P)H-hydrate epimerase, to a 60:40 ratio . Hence EC 126.96.36.199 together with EC 188.8.131.52 can restore the mixture of hydrates into NAD(P)H [3,4]. The enzyme from eukaryotes has no activity with ADP, contrary to the enzyme from bacteria (cf. EC 184.108.40.206, ADP-dependent NAD(P)H-hydrate dehydratase) .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, CAS registry number: 116669-08-0
1. Meinhart, J.O., Chaykin, S. and Krebs, E.G. Enzymatic conversion of a reduced diphosphopyridine nucleotide derivative to reduced diphosphopyridine nucleotide. J. Biol. Chem. 220 (1956) 821-829. [PMID: 13331940]
2. Regueiro Varela, B., Amelunxen, R. and Grisolia, S. Synthesis and degradation of monohydroxytetrahydronicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate. Physiol. Chem. Phys. 2 (1970) 445-454.
3. Acheson, S.A., Kirkman, H.N. and Wolfenden, R. Equilibrium of 5,6-hydration of NADH and mechanism of ATP-dependent dehydration. Biochemistry 27 (1988) 7371-7375. [PMID: 3061454]
4. Marbaix, A.Y., Noel, G., Detroux, A.M., Vertommen, D., Van Schaftingen, E. and Linster, C.L. Extremely conserved ATP- or ADP-dependent enzymatic system for nicotinamide nucleotide repair. J. Biol. Chem. 286 (2011) 41246-41252. [PMID: 21994945]