Reaction: a ketosteroid + NADPH + H+ + O2 = a steroid ester/lactone + NADP+ + H2O (general reaction)
(1) progesterone + NADPH + H+ + O2 = testosterone acetate + NADP+ + H2O
(2) androstenedione + NADPH + H+ + O2 = testololactone + NADP+ + H2O
(3) 17α-hydroxyprogesterone + NADPH + H+ + O2 = androstenedione + acetate + NADP+ + H2O
Glossary: progesterone = pregn-4-ene-3,20-dione
testosterone acetate = 3-oxoandrost-4-en-17β-yl acetate
androstenedione = androst-4-ene-3,17-dione
testololactone = 3-oxo-13,17-secoandrost-4-eno-17,13α-lactone
17α-hydroxyprogesterone = 17α-hydroxypregn-4-ene-3,20-dione
Other name(s): steroid-ketone monooxygenase; progesterone, NADPH2:oxygen oxidoreductase (20-hydroxylating, ester-producing); 17α-hydroxyprogesterone, NADPH2:oxygen oxidoreductase (20-hydroxylating, side-chain cleaving); androstenedione, NADPH2:oxygen oxidoreductase (17-hydroxylating, lactonizing)
Systematic name: ketosteroid,NADPH:oxygen oxidoreductase (20-hydroxylating, ester-producing/20-hydroxylating, side-chain cleaving/17-hydroxylating, lactonizing)
Comments: A single FAD-containing enzyme catalyses three types of monooxygenase (Baeyer-Villiger oxidation) reaction. The oxidative esterification of a number of derivatives of progesterone to produce the corresponding 17α-hydroxysteroid 17-acetate ester, such as testosterone acetate, as shown in Reaction (1). The oxidative lactonization of a number of derivatives of androstenedione to produce the 13,17-secoandrosteno-17,13α-lactone, such as testololactone, is shown in Reaction (2). The oxidative cleavage of the 17β-side-chain of 17α-hydroxyprogesterone to produce androstenedione and acetate is shown in Reaction (3). Reaction (1) is also catalysed by EC 126.96.36.199 (progesterone monooxygenase), and Reactions (2) and (3) correspond to that catalysed by EC 188.8.131.52 (androst-4-ene-3,17-dione monooxygenase). The possibility that a single enzyme is responsible for the reactions ascribed to EC 184.108.40.206 and EC 220.127.116.11 in other tissues cannot be excluded.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9044-53-5
1. Katagiri, M. and Itagaki, E. A steroid ketone monooxygenase from Cylindrocarpon radicicola. in Chemistry and Biochemistry of Flavoenzymes, (Müller, F., ed.) (1991) pp. 102-108, CRC Press, Florida.
2. Itagaki, E. Studies on a steroid monooxygenase from Cylindrocarpon radicicola ATCC 11011. Purification and characterization. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 99 (1986) 815-824. [PMID: 3486863]
3. Itagaki, E. Studies on a steroid monooxygenase from Cylindrocarpon radicicola ATCC11011. Oxygenative lactonization of androstenedione to testololactone. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 99 (1986) 825-832. [PMID: 3486864]