Reaction: GDP-β-L-fucose + β-D-galactosyl-(1→3)-N-acetyl-β-D-glucosaminyl-R = GDP + α-L-fucosyl-(1→2)-β-D-galactosyl-(1→3)-N-acetyl-β-D-glucosaminyl-R
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): galactoside 2-α-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); blood group H α-2-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); guanosine diphosphofucose-galactoside 2-L-fucosyltransferase; α-(1→2)-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); α-2-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); α-2-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); blood-group substance H-dependent fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); guanosine diphosphofucose-glycoprotein 2-α-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); guanosine diphosphofucose-β-D-galactosyl-α-2-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); guanosine diphosphofucose-galactosylacetylglucosaminylgalactosylglucosylceramide α-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); guanosine diphosphofucose-glycoprotein 2-α-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); secretor-type β-galactoside α1→2fucosyltransferase; β-galactoside α1→2fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); GDP-β-L-fucose:β-D-galactosyl-R 2-α-L-fucosyltransferase (ambiguous); FUT2 (gene name); GDP-β-L-fucose:β-D-galactosyl-(1→3)-N-acetyl-β-D-glucosaminyl-(1→3)-β-D-galactosyl-(1→4)-β-D-glucosyl-(1↔1)-ceramide 2-α-L-fucosyltransferase
Systematic name: GDP-β-L-fucose:β-D-galactosyl-(1→3)-N-acetyl-β-D-glucosaminyl-R α-(1,2)-L-fucosyltransferase (configuration-inverting)
Comments: The enzyme acts on a glycoconjugates where R (see reaction) is a glycoprotein or glycosphingolipid. The recognized moiety of the substrate is known as a type 1 histo-blood group antigen precursor disaccharide, and the action of the enzyme produces an H type 1 antigen. In humans the main enzyme performing this reaction is encoded by the FUT2 gene (also known as the Secretor gene), which is also able to act on type 2 substrates (see EC 188.8.131.524). The enzyme from the bacterium Helicobacter pylori cannot act on type 2 substrates.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, CAS registry number: 56093-23-3
1. Beyer, T.A. and Hill, R.L. Enzymatic properties of the β-galactoside α1→2 fucosyltransferase from porcine submaxillary gland. J. Biol. Chem. 255 (1980) 5373-5379. [PMID: 7372640]
2. Beyer, T.A., Sadler, J.E. and Hill, R.L. Purification to homogeneity of H blood group β-galactoside α1→2 fucosyltransferase from porcine submaxillary gland. J. Biol. Chem. 255 (1980) 5364-5372. [PMID: 6246105]
3. Kumazaki, T. and Yoshida, A. Biochemical evidence that secretor gene, Se, is a structural gene encoding a specific fucosyltransferase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 81 (1984) 4193-4197. [PMID: 6588382]
4. Koda, Y., Soejima, M., Wang, B. and Kimura, H. Structure and expression of the gene encoding secretor-type galactoside 2-α-L-fucosyltransferase (FUT2). Eur. J. Biochem. 246 (1997) 750-755. [PMID: 9219535]
5. Wang, G., Boulton, P.G., Chan, N.W., Palcic, M.M. and Taylor, D.E. Novel Helicobacter pylori α1,2-fucosyltransferase, a key enzyme in the synthesis of Lewis antigens. Microbiology 145 (1999) 3245-3253. [PMID: 10589734]