Reaction: an aryl sulfate + a phenol = a phenol + an aryl sulfate
Other names: arylsulfate-phenol sulfotransferase; arylsulfotransferase (ambiguous); ASST; arylsulfate sulfotransferase; arylsulfate:phenol sulfotransferase; aryl-sulfate:phenol sulfotransferase
Systematic name: aryl-sulfate:phenol sulfonotransferase
Comments: The enzyme, characterized from bacteria that colonize the human and mouse intestine, catalyses the transfer of a sulfate group from a phenol sulfate ester to other phenolic compounds. Activity is enhanced by Mg2+ and Mn2+ . Unlike EC 18.104.22.168, tyrosine-ester sulfotransferase and EC 22.214.171.124, aryl sulfotransferase, the enzyme does not act on 3'-phosphoadenylyl sulfate or adenosine 3',5'-bisphosphate . The level of sulfation of polyphenols depends on the positions of the hydroxyl groups [3-5]. Hydroxy groups of tyrosine residues in peptides such as angiotensin can also act as acceptors . The reaction proceeds according to a ping pong bi bi mechanism .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 158254-86-5
1. Kim, D.-H., Konishi, L. and Kobashi, K. Purification, characterization and reaction mechanism of novel arylsulfotransferase obtained from an anaerobic bacterium of human intestine. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 872 (1986) 33-41. [PMID: 3460636]
2. Kobashi, K., Kim, D.-H. and Morikawa, T. A novel type of arylsulfotransferase. J. Protein Chem. 6 (1987) 237-244.
3. Koizumi, M., Shimizu, M. and Kobashi, K. Enzymatic sulfation of quercetin by arylsulfotransferase from a human intestinal bacterium. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 38 (1990) 794-796. [PMID: 2347024]
4. Koizumi, M., Akao, T., Kadota, S., Kikuchi, T., Okuda, T. and Kobashi, K. Enzymatic sulfation of polyphenols related to tannins by arylsulfotransferase. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 39 (1991) 2638-2643. [PMID: 1806284]
5. Konishi-Imamura, L., Sato, M., Dohi, K., Kadota, S., Namba, T. and Kobashi, K. Enzymatic sulfation of glycosides and their corresponding aglycones by arylsulfate sulfotransferase from a human intestinal bacterium. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 17 (1994) 1018-1022. [PMID: 7820100]
6. Lee, N.S., Kim, B.T., Kim, D.H. and Kobashi, K. Purification and reaction mechanism of arylsulfate sulfotransferase from Haemophilus K-12, a mouse intestinal bacterium. J. Biochem. 118 (1995) 796-801. [PMID: 8576095]
7. Kim, B., Hyun, Y.J., Lee, K.S., Kobashi, K. and Kim, D.H. Cloning, expression and purification of arylsulfate sulfotransferase from Eubacterium A-44. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 30 (2007) 11-14. [PMID: 17202651]