Reaction: (S)-4-hydroxy-2-oxopentanoate = acetaldehyde + pyruvate
For diagram of reaction click here and another click here and another.
Glossary: (S)-4-hydroxy-2-oxopentanoate = (S)-4-hydroxy-2-oxovalerate
Other name(s): 4-hydroxy-2-ketovalerate aldolase; HOA; DmpG; 4-hydroxy-2-oxovalerate pyruvate-lyase; 4-hydroxy-2-oxopentanoate pyruvate-lyase; BphI; 4-hydroxy-2-oxopentanoate pyruvate-lyase (acetaldehyde-forming)
Systematic name: (S)-4-hydroxy-2-oxopentanoate pyruvate-lyase (acetaldehyde-forming)
Comments: Requires Mn2+ for maximal activity . The enzyme from the bacterium Pseudomonas putida is also stimulated by NADH . In some bacterial species the enzyme forms a bifunctional complex with EC 188.8.131.52, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (acetylating). The enzymes from the bacteria Burkholderia xenovorans and Thermus thermophilus also perform the reaction of EC 184.108.40.206, 4-hydroxy-2-oxohexanoate aldolase [4,5].
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EAWAG-BBD, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 37325-52-3
1. Manjasetty, B.A., Powlowski, J. and Vrielink, A. Crystal structure of a bifunctional aldolase-dehydrogenase: sequestering a reactive and volatile intermediate. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100 (2003) 6992-6997. [PMID: 12764229]
2. Powlowski, J., Sahlman, L. and Shingler, V. Purification and properties of the physically associated meta-cleavage pathway enzymes 4-hydroxy-2-ketovalerate aldolase and aldehyde dehydrogenase (acylating) from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF600. J. Bacteriol. 175 (1993) 377-385. [PMID: 8419288]
3. Manjasetty, B.A., Croteau, N., Powlowski, J. and Vrielink, A. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of dmpFG-encoded 4-hydroxy-2-ketovalerate aldolase—aldehyde dehydrogenase (acylating) from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF600. Acta Crystallogr. D Biol. Crystallogr. 57 (2001) 582-585. [PMID: 11264589]
4. Baker, P., Carere, J. and Seah, S.Y.K. Probing the molecular basis of substrate specificity, stereospecificity, and catalysis in the class II pyruvate aldolase, BphI. Biochemistry 50 (2011) 3559-3569. [PMID: 21425833]
5. Baker, P., Hillis, C., Carere, J. and Seah, S.Y.K. Protein-protein interactions and substrate channeling in orthologous and chimeric aldolase-dehydrogenase complexes. Biochemistry 51 (2012) 1942-1952. [PMID: 22316175]
6. Baker, P. and Seah, S.Y.K. Rational design of stereoselectivity in the class II pyruvate aldolase BphI. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134 (2012) 507-513. [PMID: 22081904]