Reaction: D-glucose 6-phosphate = 2-deoxy-L-scyllo-inosose + phosphate
For diagram of reaction click here and mechanism click here.
Other name(s): btrC (gene name); neoC (gene name); kanC (gene name)
Systematic name: D-glucose-6-phosphate phosphate-lyase (2-deoxy-L-scyllo-inosose-forming)
Comments: Requires Co2+ . Involved in the biosynthetic pathways of several clinically important aminocyclitol antibiotics, including kanamycin, butirosin, neomycin and ribostamycin. Requires an NAD+ cofactor, which is transiently reduced during the reaction [1,4]. The enzyme from the bacterium Bacillus circulans forms a complex with the glutamine amidotransferase subunit of pyridoxal 5'-phosphate synthase (EC 126.96.36.199), which appears to stabilize the complex [6,7].
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Kudo, F., Yamauchi, N., Suzuki, R. and Kakinuma, K. Kinetic isotope effect and reaction mechanism of 2-deoxy-scyllo-inosose synthase derived from butirosin-producing Bacillus circulans. J. Antibiot. (Tokyo) 50 (1997) 424-428. [PMID: 9207913]
2. Kudo, F., Hosomi, Y., Tamegai, H. and Kakinuma, K. Purification and characterization of 2-deoxy-scyllo-inosose synthase derived from Bacillus circulans. A crucial carbocyclization enzyme in the biosynthesis of 2-deoxystreptamine-containing aminoglycoside antibiotics. J. Antibiot. (Tokyo) 52 (1999) 81-88. [PMID: 10344560]
3. Kudo, F., Tamegai, H., Fujiwara, T., Tagami, U., Hirayama, K. and Kakinuma, K. Molecular cloning of the gene for the key carbocycle-forming enzyme in the biosynthesis of 2-deoxystreptamine-containing aminocyclitol antibiotics and its comparison with dehydroquinate synthase. J. Antibiot. (Tokyo) 52 (1999) 559-571. [PMID: 10470681]
4. Huang, Z., Kakinuma, K. and Eguchi, T. Stereospecificity of hydride transfer in NAD+-catalyzed 2-deoxy-scyllo-inosose synthase, the key enzyme in the biosynthesis of 2-deoxystreptamine-containing aminocyclitol antibiotics. Bioorg. Chem. 33 (2005) 82-89. [PMID: 15788164]
5. Thuy, M.L., Kharel, M.K., Lamichhane, R., Lee, H.C., Suh, J.W., Liou, K. and Sohng, J.K. Expression of 2-deoxy-scyllo-inosose synthase (kanA) from kanamycin gene cluster in Streptomyces lividans. Biotechnol. Lett. 27 (2005) 465-470. [PMID: 15928851]
6. Tamegai, H., Nango, E., Koike-Takeshita, A., Kudo, F. and Kakinuma, K. Significance of the 20-kDa subunit of heterodimeric 2-deoxy-scyllo-inosose synthase for the biosynthesis of butirosin antibiotics in Bacillus circulans. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 66 (2002) 1538-1545. [PMID: 12224638]
7. Tamegai, H., Sawada, H., Nango, E., Aoki, R., Hirakawa, H., Iino, T. and Eguchi, T. Roles of a 20 kDa protein associated with a carbocycle-forming enzyme involved in aminoglycoside biosynthesis in primary and secondary metabolism. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 74 (2010) 1215-1219. [PMID: 20530911]