Reaction: ATP + D-glycerate = ADP + 2-phospho-(R)-glycerate
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): D-glycerate-2-kinase; glycerate kinase (2-phosphoglycerate forming); ATP:(R)-glycerate 2-phosphotransferase
Systematic name: ATP:D-glycerate 2-phosphotransferase
Comments: A key enzyme in the nonphosphorylative Entner-Doudoroff pathway in archaea [1,2]. In Hyphomicrobium methylovorum GM2 the enzyme is involved in formaldehyde assimilation I (serine pathway) . In Escherichia coli the enzyme is involved in D-glucarate/D-galactarate degradation . The enzyme requires a divalent metal ion .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Liu, B., Wu, L., Liu, T., Hong, Y., Shen, Y. and Ni, J. A MOFRL family glycerate kinase from the thermophilic crenarchaeon, Sulfolobus tokodaii, with unique enzymatic properties. Biotechnol. Lett. 31 (2009) 1937-1941. [PMID: 19690808]
2. Reher, M., Bott, M. and Schonheit, P. Characterization of glycerate kinase (2-phosphoglycerate forming), a key enzyme of the nonphosphorylative Entner-Doudoroff pathway, from the thermoacidophilic euryarchaeon Picrophilus torridus. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 259 (2006) 113-119. [PMID: 16684110]
3. Liu, B., Hong, Y., Wu, L., Li, Z., Ni, J., Sheng, D. and Shen, Y. A unique highly thermostable 2-phosphoglycerate forming glycerate kinase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus horikoshii: gene cloning, expression and characterization. Extremophiles 11 (2007) 733-739. [PMID: 17563835]
4. Noh, M., Jung, J.H. and Lee, S.B. Purification and characterization of glycerate kinase from the thermoacidophilic archaeon Thermoplasma acidophilum: an enzyme belonging to the second glycerate kinase family. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 11 (2006) 344-350.
5. Yoshida, T., Fukuta, K., Mitsunaga, T., Yamada, H. and Izumi, Y. Purification and characterization of glycerate kinase from a serine-producing methylotroph, Hyphomicrobium methylovorum GM2. Eur. J. Biochem. 210 (1992) 849-854. [PMID: 1336459]
6. Hubbard, B.K., Koch, M., Palmer, D.R., Babbitt, P.C. and Gerlt, J.A. Evolution of enzymatic activities in the enolase superfamily: characterization of the (D)-glucarate/galactarate catabolic pathway in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry 37 (1998) 14369-14375. [PMID: 9772162]