Reaction: ATP + levoglucosan + H2O = ADP + D-glucose 6-phosphate
Glossary: levoglucosan = 1,6-anhydro-β-D-glucopyranose
Systematic name: ATP:1,6-anhydro-β-D-glucopyranose 6-phosphotransferase (hydrolyzing)
Comments: Levoglucosan is formed from the pyrolysis of carbohydrates such as starch and cellulose and is an important molecular marker for pollution from biomass burning. The enzyme, found in yeast and fungi, requires a magnesium ion. cf. EC 188.8.131.525, levoglucosan dehydrogenase.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, CAS registry number:
1. Zhuang, X. and Zhang, H. Identification, characterization of levoglucosan kinase, and cloning and expression of levoglucosan kinase cDNA from Aspergillus niger CBX-209 in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr. Purif. 26 (2002) 71-81. [PMID: 12356473]
2. Dai, J., Yu, Z., He, Y., Zhang, L., Bai, Z., Dong, Z., Du, Y. and Zhang, H. Cloning of a novel levoglucosan kinase gene from Lipomyces starkeyi and its expression in Escherichia coli. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 25 (2009) 1589-1595.
3. Layton, D.S., Ajjarapu, A., Choi, D.W. and Jarboe, L.R. Engineering ethanologenic Escherichia coli for levoglucosan utilization. Bioresour. Technol. 102 (2011) 8318-8322. [PMID: 21719279]
4. Islam, Z.U., Zhisheng, Y., Hassan el, B., Dongdong, C. and Hongxun, Z. Microbial conversion of pyrolytic products to biofuels: a novel and sustainable approach toward second-generation biofuels. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 42 (2015) 1557-1579. [PMID: 26433384]
5. Bacik, J.P., Klesmith, J.R., Whitehead, T.A., Jarboe, L.R., Unkefer, C.J., Mark, B.L. and Michalczyk, R. Producing glucose 6-phosphate from cellulosic biomass: structural insights into levoglucosan bioconversion. J. Biol. Chem. 290 (2015) 26638-26648. [PMID: 26354439]